Sunday, June 26, 2011

Co-wash and Roller Set

I am transitioning from relaxed to natural hair and have decided to try to stay away from my flat iron for a while.  Last week I tried out a roller set using cold wave rods and I was pretty pleased with the results.  However I watched a video on YouTube where a woman did a two-strand twist then used the rollers and I have decided to try it out.
For the past year my hair routine has been wash, air-dry and flat iron once a week.  I would wrap my hair every night and sleep in a bonnet and comb out in the morning. I am in search of some hairstyles that do not require the use of heat because I have recently become paranoid about breakage and ruining my curl pattern on my new growth.  I have not had any breakage and I attribute that to the fact that I deep condition every week and don't use a blow dryer except in emergencies.

I enjoy trying different products but lately I have added two that I doubt will be removed from the line up.  I absolutely love the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque.  It has totally transformed the ends of my hair.  No more split ends and no dry, crunchy feeling!  I get mine at Target but I recently saw some at Walgreens and both places were priced the same at  $9.99.  It smells great, it is all natural, affordable and effective.  I don't even sit under the dryer with mine, I just use it in the shower and it works great. 

Detangling is also a major issue with the two different textures of hair I have going on. For this I use the Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-in Conditioner.  I tried one her shampoos that touted being sulfate free but it seemed to strip my hair even more than other shampoos so I quickly tossed it. This leave in however is wonderful.  It detangles my hair with no problems and has a nice light scent.  I can also pick this one up at my local Target store for $9.99. 

Anyway, back to my two-strand twist roller set style.  I decided to do just a co-wash since I won't be wearing my hair straight.  I bought a new product last week which was a purification mask, also from the Shea Moisture collection, and used that as my "shampoo".  For those of you unfamiliar with the co-wash process, it is basically using a conditioner in place of shampoo to cleanse your hair and scalp.  You wet your hair, apply lots of conditioner, massage into your scalp and let it sit there while you are in the shower.  After my co-wash, I detangled and let air dry while I painted my nails. 

Once the hair was slightly damp, I parted my hair in two sections from ear to ear.  I secured the front section and started on the back.  I parted off about a third of the hair vertically and clipped the rest to the side.  I took about a one inch square section, spritzed with a spray bottle filled with water with a hint of setting lotion then twisted and rolled.  I tried to keep the twists roughly the same size.  Once I got to the fron section, I was careful not to make any weird parts in the front.  Here is a pic of my hair all rolled up.





I let my hair air dry overnight and wrapped it in a loose scarf.  When it was time to take the rollers out I moistened my fingers with a bit of shea butter and started unrolling.  I separated each twist and then finger combed through all of my hair.  I finished by adding a bit of gel and two barrets to keep the hair out of my face.  Here is how it turned out.


So I will try this method again with one change; next time I will make sure not to do the twists all the way to the ends.  They formed a strange crinkle frizzy look on a few of the curls.  I did really like that I could fit a lot more hair onto one roller with the twists and therefore used less.  The roots are more controlled with this method as well.   I got a few compliments on it so I guess it turned out okay.

****UPDATE****
Ok, I put a twist on this hairstyle (pun intended).  I did a two strand twist but only for about 5 turns then twirled the hair with my fingers and put in the rollers.  This worked out so well I think it is going to be my official hairstyle for a while!!! Here is a pic.




No comments:

Post a Comment